Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Freedom Walkers

Book: Freedom Walkers: The Story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
Author: Russell Freedman
Audience: Grades 5-8
In a Nutshell: "My feets is tired, but my soul is rested."

Every school child past the age of 10 has heard of the Montgomery bus boycott, or at least they should have. But I realized that there were a lot of interesting parts of the story that I'd never heard, or at least had long forgotten. That's the great thing about Freedman's books: even for an occasional non-fiction reader like myself, the topics he picks are always engaging, the narrative is well written, and he finds the best photos available to illustrate. He's one of the only nonfic authors whose books I will pick up based on author alone and know I will leave the experience with more interest in the topic.

No comments: