Friday, August 04, 2006

Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride

Book: Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride
Author: Kate DiCamillo
Illustrator: Chris Van Dusen
Audience: Grades K-2
In a Nutshell: "Look, look, pig taking a ride! Pig taking a ride!"

This is also the second of a new series, but I'm done apologizing. There, I said it. I've read a lot of sequels this summer, so what?

Just so you know, the posts won't always be coming so fast and furious. I used to keep track of all my reading in a database before I left Washington and my work-related access to Access. I've got a bit of a backlog written in Ye Olde Spirall Notebooke, but I'm almost caught up. Hey, if anyone has suggestions for a good web-based database that I could transfer Access files into, please let me know. I am largely ignorant on the topic but willing to learn.

On to Mercy. Mercy is a pig. She lives with Mr. and Mrs. Watson, who love her like their own child. Mercy loooves hot buttered toast. Her first appearance was in Mercy Watson to the Rescue, in which she did, indeed, save the day, despite the fact that she was only looking for hot buttered toast.

Every Saturday after lunch, Mr. Watson and Mercy go driving in Mr. Watson's pink cadillac. Mercy always wants to drive, but she never does- until one afternoon, when Mr. Watson gets distracted by an elderly stowaway in the back seat, and Mercy grabs her chance to take over. A high-speed police chase ensues, ending with a gentle lesson on the importance of seat belts. Thanks to the Watson's over-starched elderly neighbor, Eugenia Lincoln, we also explore the definition of "folly," and also the value of it. But such philosophical ponderings don't get in the way of a fun little easy chapter book with a small number of well-chosen words and lots of colorful pictures.

If you're wondering where the nutshell quote came from, you'll have to read the author's note at the end for the whole story.

No comments: